Sunday, February 19, 2012

CPAC Recap

Last week I attended the Conservative Political Action Conference, CPAC, in Washington D.C. It was my first CPAC, and I'm already looking forward to next year. While the speakers were amazing, the basement was filled with vendors giving away free things (hats, shirts, books, bumper stickers!), and there is definitely something to be said for being surrounded by 11,000 people of the same mind set as you.
The highlight of the convention was Governor and former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, whose speech not only drew thousands of people and endless applause (including one interruption by on Occupy protester quickly drawn out by chants of "USA! USA!" and "Sarah! Sarah!") but I even got close enough near the end to shake hands with one of my favorite conservatives (thank you to the security guard who noticed me peeking out behind the crowd and made room for me!!). Here are come other of my favorite moments from CPAC:
1) My swag from day one:

2) An amazing panel led by Tea Party activists discussing the occupy movement. Definitely inspired me to not only become more involved and stand up for my beliefs, but truly understand what a threat to society the movement is!
 
3) Seeing Governor Rick Perry again! After he dropped out, I missed hearing the authority and power Governor Perry spoke with. I often wish he was able to gain more traction because not only does his economic record speak for itself but his socially conservative platform is what this country needs so badly. 
4) Mitt Romney. Before the convention I wasn't sure how I felt about the potential nominee, however, he spoke with such truth concerning his moderate stances while governor of my home state that I couldn't be more thrilled to vote for him in the upcoming Super Tuesday primary. He addressed a lot of my concerns about him and I honestly believe he will be the strongest candidate come November. 
5) Meeting my future congressman (fingers crossed!) One of the funniest incidents happened the first day of CPAC. As we were sitting watching Senator Marco Rubio speak (also a highlight!) I noticed the man next to me was the candidate I had spoken to thru email and the phone but had yet to meet in person. Such a small world! 

Other than that I had a wonderful time, gained some great memories, and enjoyed making new friends and catching up with some old! Already counting down the days till next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment